Friday, July 6, 2012

Webmaking 101 challenges

As part of the Webmaking 101 badge I have to write about the following:

The reason I have entered into the Webmaking 101 challenge is because I am interested in digital badges projects for my own PD and also how in the future this will effect the students I teach. I have been following the developments of badges but to be honest have not been on the P2PU site for while and at the moment I am excited in the new developments which have happened with this site since I last visited.

The person who first introduced me to badges was Doug Belshaw @dajbelshaw through  twitter and Google+ and he is also the reason I have revisited because I read his lastest blog post he actually had some digital badges on his blog and I followed the links with interest. 

You can also earn digital badges here



Now about me:
I have been a teacher for the last 17 years and have 2 sons who are big gamers and teach me new tricks of how to use tech in my classroom. Before the Edtech revolution came about I was and still am a big fan of learning2learn skills (Guy Claxton) and very interested in how the brain works.

For the last 2 years I have been on a exciting and fast journey of how to integrate tech into my lessons and tried to help and train colleagues on how to best use these tools. Which is not an easy job as you will know teaching is always the last industry to change and some teachers have a  mind set 'that's they way I learnt and that's the way I am going to teach'. I think the most satisfying thing about last year was getting the whole of Year 6 students to start blogging and watching the great comments that students were making about each others work which proved to some teachers that this was a powerful tool.

'In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists' Eric Hoffer

Also here is an excellent link to Doug's blog which tells you how to put your P2PU badges into your Open Badge Backpack with your other badges from Mozilla. After you need your backpack code.  Next you can use this link to get the HTML code so you can put them onto your own blog.

New cool website where you can mobile device apps 

Good luck any questions make a comment.



10 comments:

  1. That's a pretty impressive post. I liked the quote from Eric Hoffer. Props for trying to get more tech in the classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Skilletnail and hope to share info.in the future.

      Good luck with your next badge.

      Delete
  2. This is a really nice blog post, very well written. I didnt know I could add my badges to my blog. If you dont mind could you comment on my P2PU post?

    http://imdarr.in/post/26788861056/p2p-u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will comment on your post, do not worry!

      Delete
    2. Gooham I went to your blog but their is no post cant comment.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the helpful links!
    I just started getting involved with the Open Badges Project, it has really shed some light on my future. My blog expalins in detail my current situation and why I'm seeking badges for myself.


    http://kotts.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment

      Good luck with your future something will turn up keep chipping away.

      Could not put a comment on your blog maybe check your settings.

      Delete
  4. Gracias por la oportunidad que nos dan para sacar adelante nuestros sueños de aprender programacion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the idea of badges to encourage learning is a very exciting development, tapping into the same drive to hunt achievements on xbox live or steam in computer games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I'd had a teacher like you! Good luck and love the post.

    ReplyDelete